About multidomains

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Alb

About multidomains

Post by Alb »

Hello,
I would like to know if it's possible to have multidom this way :
forumhost.com, forumhost.net, and myclan.com can be used to create subdomains.
Someone create a forum, myforumname.forumhost.com

What I want is allowing this forum to be accessed from myforumname.com.forumhost.com AND myforumname.forumhost.net, but with a 301 redirection from myforumname.forumhost.net/* to myforumname.forumhost.com/* , and possibility for owner to change the masterdomain between forumhost.com and forumhost.net (so if he chooses forumhost.net, myforumname.forumhost.com/* will be redirected to myforumname.forumhost.net/*)

But I want too that myforumname.myclan.com can be used by someone else ..

Is it possible ?

Also, I would like to know if it's possible to have multi languages and if multidatabse servers is easy to use.

Thanks.
emoruffino
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: About multidomains

Post by emoruffino »

if you have:

forumhost.com and forumhost.net

and someone registers the forum: joker. they can access their forum at: joker.forumhost.com but joker.forumhost.net will only redirect to the joker.forumhost.com so if someone takes the name joker, then no one else can use it.

multi-databases are very easy to use. and you can use all languages provided by phpbb.
indieCore radio - 24/7 music and HD music videos... (hiatus)
contentZERO. - my design/production company...
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Alb wrote:What I want is allowing this forum to be accessed from myforumname.com.forumhost.com AND myforumname.forumhost.net, but with a 301 redirection from myforumname.forumhost.net/* to myforumname.forumhost.com/* , and possibility for owner to change the masterdomain between forumhost.com and forumhost.net (so if he chooses forumhost.net, myforumname.forumhost.com/* will be redirected to myforumname.forumhost.net/*)
That's exactly what script does.
Alb wrote:But I want too that myforumname.myclan.com can be used by someone else ..

Is it possible ?
No. There can only be one "myforumname" forum, as subdomain is used as a unique forum id.
Alb wrote:Also, I would like to know if it's possible to have multi languages and if multidatabse servers is easy to use.
Yes for languages and databases.
Alb

Post by Alb »

CyberAlien wrote:
Alb wrote:But I want too that myforumname.myclan.com can be used by someone else ..

Is it possible ?
No. There can only be one "myforumname" forum, as subdomain is used as a unique forum id.
I think it would be better with this option.. because if I have numerous domains names for forum hosting, I think it's a pity to penalize people who want coolname.myclan.com if coolname.forumhost.com is taken.
So, do you think it's possible to do what I want (with possibility to make domain groups (like :
group 1 : ForumHost = forumhost.com, forumhost.net
group 2 : ForumClan = MyClan.com ) ) ?
Will you add this feature in the future or is it too hard to code ?
A forum can have a normal ID and a group ID ..
Thanks.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

No, it can't be done. That unique id is also used for cache and uploads, so files for that forum are stored in cache/forumname/, uploads/forumname/ and few other similar directories.
Alb

Post by Alb »

CyberAlien wrote:No, it can't be done. That unique id is also used for cache and uploads, so files for that forum are stored in cache/forumname/, uploads/forumname/ and few other similar directories.
But it could be stored in cache/forumname.groupID/, upload/forumname.groupID/, or cache/ForumID/, upload/ForumID/ with ForumID an unique ID with forumname and groupID infos..

Since it's possible to have differents forums with the same subdomain but different domains with EchoPHP, I guess it could be possible to do what I'm looking for..
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

That's an interesting idea. I'll see if I can implement it, will reply later today or tomorrow.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Sorry, I won't be adding such feature. I've tested it, and there isn't an easy way to implement it without adding lots of code for backwards compatibility, which would increase application size by a lot.
Alb

Post by Alb »

Well .. too bad.
Since it's possible to install more than one multiforums script on the same server/IP, I guess it's possible to have something like :
SiteA : Aforums.com, Aforums.net
SiteB : Bforums.net
A home where people register their account, for example Ahome.com, and then in their member section, the ability to create forums on SiteA and/or SiteB and managing them... but you may think it's too hard to code too..
So, is the script encrypted ?
Is there a language file ? Is there a way to have more than one langague for the multiforum home ?
Is the script a mod, so it's possible to updated phpbb ?
Thanks.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

You'll need 2 IPs for that, so you could do 2 completely different unrelated installations.

Script isn't encrypted.

There is a language file for website interface, but there isn't a build in function to switch languages in interface.

Script has two sets of files: script files and phpbb files. phpBB files are premodded, all changes in code are commented out by "// phpBBHS" so you could easily see where changes were made. Updating isn't a problem, I do update script for every version and update instructions as well as list of changes is always available in customers area of this forum.