Wildcard DNS settings

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
digichiew

Wildcard DNS settings

Post by digichiew »

Before I buy the script, I am quite doubtful about having problem with the wildcard DNS thing.

I have read one of the thread regarding wildcard DNS and followed the instructions to set the wildcard thing.

So I try to create a subdomain test.domain.com on my dedicated server and move on to create dns record A * .domain. <ip> using my plesk control panel .

I tried to view the subdomain using url test.<ip>, but just an error page.

Do it need to wait for propagation?

And does it means I already have wildcard DNS configured when I did the above changes?

Need help, thanks!
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: Wildcard DNS settings

Post by CyberAlien »

A simple check to see if dedicated IP works is to type IP in address bar, like http://1.2.3.4/ It should show your website.

If you are having problems with wildcard dns, you can always use a third party dns service, such as http://everydns.net which gives you full control over your domain. You'll need to register there, add your domain, then in your registrar's control panel you need to change nameservers to match everydns's servers and then wait 12-24 hours.
digichiew

Post by digichiew »

Thks, I think that should not be a problem then.

Another question, let say I want to install phpBB hs in my current website, and the phpBB hs is an added feature to my website, can I install the script in a subfolder or a subdomain? Like domain.com/Free_Forums or Free_Forums.domain.com?

Would it be a problem with the forums created? What will be the URL for these forums?

is it still xxx.domain.com with the about 2 scenarios whereby the mainpage are not install at domain.com root?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

If you install it in a sub directory, like yourwebsite.com/forum/, all hosted forums will also be in same subdirectory, like user.yourwebsite.com/forum/, so I recommend not to do that.

You can keep your current website on yourwebsite.com and put registration page on a subdomain, like register.yourwebsite.com. It requires tricky installation, but it can be done and there is a tutorial in customers area of forum that explains how to do it. Such installation will require your website to be on another account on a different IP (not necessary dedicated, usual shared hosting will do), so you'll have to use 2 accounts.
digichiew

Post by digichiew »

Okay, I tried to register at everydns.net, added my domain and changed the ns1 - ns4, but the IP addresses is not updating, it says something like "IP address not used/listed for Out-Of-Zone host"...so I do not need my dedicated IP address if I host at everydns.net?

So if that is correct, I have to wait for the dns to change to be able to eidt my domain in everydns.net like adding the wildcard DNs code or something?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

If you have changed nameservers, you'll need to wait 12-24 hours for change to take effect.
digichiew

Post by digichiew »

Hi, I am not too sure the values to enter in everydns.net:

The everydns.net seems to have assigned a different IP from my dedicated IP.

So to add wildcard, I need to add a record right?

Lets say my domain is xxxx.sg ( country level domain),

What is the value to input for:

1. Fully Qualified Domain Name (?)
2. Record Type (A ?)
3. Record Value ( put my IP or their assigned IP ?)
4. If MX Record, MX Value (?)

Axfr Control ( what is this and what should I change?)

Thanks for the help....
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

They add some default values, you need to change them.

Add following entries:

domain = domain.sg
record type = A
record value = your ip address

domain = *.domain.sg
record type = CNAME
record value = domain.sg

MX should be empty, Axfr Control isn't for you.
digichiew

Post by digichiew »

Done, do I delete the default record for

www.domain.sg

CNAME

parked.everydns.net

which still remains there after I added new records as instructed by you?

Thanks for the fast reply...
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

You need to add one entry before deleting default one. Their editor doesn't allow having 0 records, so if you delete everything it will add a default record.