Convert from sebflipper phpBB2?

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Tom

Re: Convert from sebflipper phpBB2?

Post by Tom »

CyberAlien wrote:You can convert database, just like usual phpBB conversion. New forum location would be ether in subdirectory, like forumname.yourwebsite.com/phpBB3/ or you'll have to host it on a different account with a different domain name like forumname.yourotherwebsite.com or forumname.3.yourwebsite.com

Another solution is to put redirects, I'm currently working on them for one client, but its very complex.
All of my main websites run vBulletin so I'm still not sure how the new phpbb converts. Last time I used phpBB standalone has been a while. Even when I used it standalone though the URL of the forum never changed upon conversion.

Why is it that when upgrading the forum the URL must change? I fail to understand that.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Post by CyberAlien »

It is different from vBulletin updater/convertor. I suggest you install normal phpBB 2, normal phpBB 3, then convert your test phpBB 2 forum to phpBB 3 to see how it works. On large forums and slow databases phpBB convertor script sometimes tend to freeze (happens when server can't handle complex stuff because of ether load or configuration), which stopped me from making automated convertor.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Ahh okay, I understand what you are saying now. This isn't a typical upgrade to phpbb, so I need two sets of everything... one for phpbb2 one for phpbb3. Makes sense now.

I know this would cause downtime but would this be possible:
1) Move the sebflipper script to a new folder
2) Upload phpbbhs to root folder
3) Run conversions
4) Delete sebflipper script

If I do this I would be able to keep the old forum subdomains no?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

That depends on how you convert it, how your old forum was configured and how your new forum will be configured. Its possible, but easy to mess up if you don't know what exactly you are doing.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Do you ever go on any messengers? I've tried to find you on MSN for days and haven't seen you. If I could talk to you via IM I feel we could get this all talked out ASAP.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Sometimes, about once a month. I'll be on msn today.
Tom

Post by Tom »

CyberAlien wrote:Sometimes, about once a month. I'll be on msn today.
I still can't get a hold of you on MSN.

Essentially my basic question boils down to this: How can I install your script and have it using subdomains without disrupting my current forums?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Install it on a different account (using different domain or subdomain of current domain) or in different directory.
Tom

Post by Tom »

CyberAlien wrote:Install it on a different account (using different domain or subdomain of current domain) or in different directory.
I currently have sebflipper in the root directory. If I install phpbbhs in "/forums/" how will the new forums look?

Would it be like: forum.domain.com/forums/ or would it still be able to use the root look as forum.domain.com ?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Website template can be easily edited, so if you are familiar with xhtml/css you can make it look like old website.