language/future?/any soft?/ressources/compare

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Patricia
Hosted Forums: 0

language/future?/any soft?/ressources/compare

Post by Patricia »

HI

I'm very interested to buy your script and must check some points :

LANGUAGE
the main site would be in french, but I would like to provide english as a possible language
I saw this post: http://www.phpbbhs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=199
but well, translate to french I can do, necessary for the public area, but is there then a switch for the users to have the registration in french or english?

also, would you be interested by translations? I would offer you to do it for french, and would you then offer a discount on licence or something?

THE FUTURE
another question is : I saw on a website that CyberAlien wanted to sell the script last june, are you already the new owner? and will you last long? I would like to avoid to pay for a script and yearly upgrades... then the whole thing going abandoned...

ANY WEB SOFTWARE?
then I'm interested about this mentioned in "prices" page :
Hovewer, this forum hosting script is a standalone application. It doesn't use any phpBB code, and it doesn't require phpBB to work. phpBB hosting script is designed to work with any software
- what does that mean actually?
if I guess right, I could use your script to offer the same service with something else than phpBB? (suppose a light CMS like GetSimple), provided that I add some modifications to the core php code of the other software? (similar modifications you did to phpBB)?

another use I'm interested in then... could I use some subdomains to be phpBB forums and some other to be a simple subdomain host without phpBB? (but using the subdomain stuff from phpbbhs)?

RESSOURCES?
would that be sufficient to run your script with hundreds or thousands of forums? (of course we don't know the size of boards in advance, but some will have 50 members and 1000 posts and some others 10000 members and 100000 posts...)

Root server with :
CPU : Intel® Core™ i7-920 / Quadcore incl. Hyper-Threading-Technology

RAM : 8 GB DDR3 RAM

Dual Hard Drive : 2 x 750 GB SATA-II HDD (Software-RAID 1)

Connection speed : 100 Mbits/s

COMPARE TO ECHOPHP
I searched the net for a similar script and only found echophp to be "as serious". Please could you tell me the main differences between your 2 scripts... or forwhat reasons I should buy yours!
(is your source open and theirs encoded?)

--
thank you very much in advance for your answers
PHPBBHS

Re: language/future?/any soft?/ressources/compare

Post by PHPBBHS »

Easy to translate the main site can be customized in the admin area and the templates can be edited as well stored in .tpl files. We have people translate the scripts to various languages. You can probably add code to allow people to switch the language on registration but really that would probably be better having seperate sites since if they can't understand the language to get that page they would never see that option.

As for updates/future the software is quickly updated to the latest version of phpBB which you can see from the announcement when ever a new phpBB version is released. The software was sold from the previous owner in July and we have been maintaining it since.

The software itself was designed to be complaint with the phpBB license in that it does not use any of the phpBB code and can runs standalone without phpBB this done for license reasons. You can use it for what you need but you need a license for each seperate install of the system in order for it to work

The server that you have is more than adequate for forum hosting. I have run very large forum hosts on servers that do not have as much ram. That server will put in you in good shape for your forum host.

Echophp do not know a lot about then so can't really compare. I do know their script is encoded so that limits what you can really do to if. If you wanted to customize etc.
Patricia

Re: language/future?/any soft?/ressources/compare

Post by Patricia »

Thank you very much for your answers, it does confirm what I understood and PHPBBHS seems to suit our needs

We will buy a licence as soon as we are ready, especially with our new server