I still didn't understand what this site does! Acknoledge me

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
bhoopalan

I still didn't understand what this site does! Acknoledge me

Post by bhoopalan »

Thank you for considering about enlightening me with details about this website.

I didn't understand. PhpBB is a free software. And why do I need to buy it from here for $110 totally?

If I understood it correctly, do this site sell, some software, that allow our visitors to create forums by themselves? So, that we can create a website like forumer.com ? Am I correct?

If I am wrong, then what does this site actually sells me? Any kind of Mod for my PHPBB forum? Or what else?
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: I still didn't understand what this site does! Acknoledge me

Post by CyberAlien »

bhoopalan wrote:If I understood it correctly, do this site sell, some software, that allow our visitors to create forums by themselves? So, that we can create a website like forumer.com ? Am I correct?
yes
bhoopalan wrote:If I am wrong, then what does this site actually sells me? Any kind of Mod for my PHPBB forum? Or what else?
No, software is a large control panel that allows you to easily manage thousands of hosted forums as well as enables automated registration and installation of forums. Software is not a phpBB mod, it doesn't use any phpBB functions and works completely separately.
bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan »

CyberAlien wrote:
bhoopalan wrote:If I understood it correctly, do this site sell, some software, that allow our visitors to create forums by themselves? So, that we can create a website like forumer.com ? Am I correct?
yes
bhoopalan wrote:If I am wrong, then what does this site actually sells me? Any kind of Mod for my PHPBB forum? Or what else?
No, software is a large control panel that allows you to easily manage thousands of hosted forums as well as enables automated registration and installation of forums. Software is not a phpBB mod, it doesn't use any phpBB functions and works completely separately.
Wow, thats actually a great news. I hope you are not scams as you are easily contactable. I was actually searching for such a software.

I came to this link from getphpbb.com - If I buy this software, do I have to keep link in down like getphpbb.com?

And, Say I have a domain 'forum.com' and if user wants to create a forum using his name so that it looks like 'name.forum.com' can he create so? That is, can he create a forum for himself which actually is a subdomain of my actual domain?

What else do we get with this software? Anything special to mention? Do we get free phpBB template or anything like that? (Though I don't expect this.)

And, I use too many mods for my phpBB forum. If I create a website like forumer, I would like all forums user creates would have all these mods automatically added, when they create their forum. Is this possible?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

bhoopalan wrote:Wow, thats actually a great news. I hope you are not scams as you are easily contactable. I was actually searching for such a software.
You can also check my profile on phpbb.com
bhoopalan wrote:I came to this link from getphpbb.com - If I buy this software, do I have to keep link in down like getphpbb.com?
Link is in default script installation, but you don't have to keep it so it can be removed.
bhoopalan wrote:And, Say I have a domain 'forum.com' and if user wants to create a forum using his name so that it looks like 'name.forum.com' can he create so? That is, can he create a forum for himself which actually is a subdomain of my actual domain?
Yes, that's what script does.
bhoopalan wrote:What else do we get with this software? Anything special to mention? Do we get free phpBB template or anything like that? (Though I don't expect this.)
No, it works with normal phpBB templates. You can check demo at http://www.forumhostpro.com and read server requirements on main page of this website.
bhoopalan wrote:And, I use too many mods for my phpBB forum. If I create a website like forumer, I would like all forums user creates would have all these mods automatically added, when they create their forum. Is this possible?
All hosted forums use same set of files, so when adding mods those mods will be added to all hosted forums. If a mod requires changes in database, there is a function to run sql queries on all hosted forums. To make sure you understand what adding mods mean: if mod requires changes in styles you'll have to update every single installed style, and that might be very complex if you install lots of styles, and installing mods requires basic knowledge of php and phpBB so if something goes wrong (and it often does, as there are incompatibilities between different mods, buggy mods and simple typos) you could fix it.
bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan »

CyberAlien wrote: All hosted forums use same set of files, so when adding mods those mods will be added to all hosted forums. If a mod requires changes in database, there is a function to run sql queries on all hosted forums. To make sure you understand what adding mods mean: if mod requires changes in styles you'll have to update every single installed style, and that might be very complex if you install lots of styles, and installing mods requires basic knowledge of php and phpBB so if something goes wrong (and it often does, as there are incompatibilities between different mods, buggy mods and simple typos) you could fix it.
Well, where do we have to add those mods then? I mean, if we have a forum in that free forum providing website, and if I add some mod that I like, will that mod get installed in all subdomain forums? And I know how hard is to add a mod and I am experience in it. So, not to worry about that. But Can all the forum owners make use of Mods I add?

Say for example, a community owner contacts me and wants to have some mod for his forum. I suppose, many other community owners would not be willing to have that Mod in their community. Can I register the mod for only him? Of course, thats possible if I have to do manually. But just wanted to know if you have any options for that
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

It won't work. If you install mod for one forum, it gets installed for all forums. The only solution is to change that mod so it would work only if some configuration variable is enabled and then add that configuration variable so forum owners could enable/disable that mod, but you'll need to do that yourself as hosting script doesn't have built-in support for it.
bhoopalan

Post by bhoopalan »

CyberAlien wrote:It won't work. If you install mod for one forum, it gets installed for all forums. The only solution is to change that mod so it would work only if some configuration variable is enabled and then add that configuration variable so forum owners could enable/disable that mod, but you'll need to do that yourself as hosting script doesn't have built-in support for it.
Ok, thats not a problem. But why does I find this in GetphpBB.com for two days continuesly?
Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Too many connections in /home/getphpbb/public_html/phpbb/config/multiforums.config.inc.php on line 10
Unable to connect to database on 'localhost' with user 'getphpbb_forum'
Please check your settings in multiforums.config.inc.php!
Is this problem is due to your script not able to handle too many usage of database at a time?
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

That's sebflipper's phpBB 2 hosting script error, not this script's error. Probably he's using both scripts there.