REQ: Info on phpbbhs Code

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: REQ: Info on phpbbhs Code

Post by CyberAlien »

1. I don't think you understand how dns works. It has absolutely nothing to do with ftp, directories and won't magically redirect anything. It only assigns IP addresses to domains, how domains and services are handled depends on setup of your server.

Think of it as a redirection. Whenever you are trying to access something.whatever.com, your computer first figures out where something.whatever.com is located. That's where dns comes in. It replies to computer that something.whatever.com is located at IP 1.2.3.4. That's all dns does. Then computer connects to that IP, and whatever happens next has nothing to do with dns. You might want to google some manuals about it if that explanation wasn't clear.

Everydns, and other similar services let you assign IPs to any subdomains of your domain. To use it, you must have your own domain, you must have everydns account, and you must be able to point nameservers of your domain (this is handled by domain registrar) to everydns nameservers.

2. No, its not encoded. PHP doesn't compile code into executables, it executes raw code (well.. technically it does compile it, but only in memory, but reads raw code from hard drive). There are some encoders that do compile code, but I'm not using any, so code isn't encoded and can be easily edited.

3. You can install update, but phpBBHS modifies phpBB code a little bit, so when updating you need to keep those modifications and alter some files. It is much easier to wait for me to update code.

4. Yes, they can change most images by editing imageset of any installed style and upload custom images. They can also edit css.

5. Usually 3-6 hours. Purchases as not instant, as every payment is checked to avoid fraud, and license is activated whenever I get notification that payment was valid.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: REQ: Info on phpbbhs Code

Post by CyberAlien »

No, it doesn't work that way. Subdomains are not directories on a domain, they are like separate domains.

To run the script you must have a dedicated IP, so all domains pointed to that IP would show website. If you are not sure if you have it or not, in your browser type http://1.2.3.4 (where 1.2.3.4 is IP of your website) and if you'll see your website then you do have it, if you see something else then you don't have it.