Something

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Sergiy

Something

Post by Sergiy »

Hello.

I'm thinking about starting free forum hosting and I have a few pre-sale questions.
Script seems to be very well organized and support here on forums is friendly and fast.

1. Is it possible that forum admin can change logo in template on his/her own though admin panel? If it's possible, can be done with any template?
2. Is it possible to change that admins can make backups/restores of their forums?
3. How is with the HS updates ... do you release automatic updates (so you don't need to change files and other things manual, like phpbb3 update patches) or it's manual (with readme help)?

If I get new questions, I will post them here.

Thanks for help
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: Something

Post by CyberAlien »

1. Forum admins can change any image in imageset, including logo.

2. It is possible, but its dangerous as restore option could be used to hack your server, so I suggest not to do it.

3. Its a mix of both. Instructions for every update are written in a sticky thread in customers area of this forum.

File changes: manual. You can ether replace updated files or read update instructions on support forum and do exact code changes (for files that were heavily modified there isn't list of exact changes, instruction just says to replace whole file).

For database its automatic, you upload new files, open update script in your browser and it will update database of host and databases of all hosted forums.

Sometimes, when update is extremely complex and can't be automated, there are additional instructions.
Sergiy

Post by Sergiy »

1. So forum admins can have custom smilies too?

2. Can forum admins edit meta tags?

3. I haven't found script license anywhere ... is it needed that you leave HS copyright in the bottom of pages?

4. Is next comfiguration of VPS good for start?
RAM: 256MB (512MB Burst)
Disk: 20GB
Bandwidth: 300GB

5. What about shared hosting with all requirements which are needed by HS (dedicated IP too)?

6. Is it stable if you move from one host to another? I had some problems with DB when I moved my forum based on phpBB3 in the past because phpmyadmin didn't extract DB right, so I needed to use restore function inside phpBB.

7. What happen when new phpBB version comes out? Do you release new update for HS with new phpBB or I need to update phpBB on my own?

Thanks
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

1. No, right now upload system works only with imageset.

2. No.

3. You can remove it.

4. I think that should be enough.

5. It will work.

6. You will need to move database yourself, so its the same as with any other web software.

7. I'll update it, then there will be a release with updated version and on the forum there'll be a thread with update instructions. There will also be a script that will update databases of all your hosted forums.
Sergiy

Post by Sergiy »

1. If I upload many smilies in smilies directory, then forum admins can configure those smilies in administration panel (like in original phpBB3)?

2. Is script un-encrypted, or some parts are encrypted?

3. How does license system works? Is it connected with script, so for example I cannot run script on my localhost (for testing) and on my server at the same time?

4. Are there any guides in customer's forum? Like how to create top-10 page, how many forums/users is hosted,...
emoruffino

Post by emoruffino »

script is 100% unencrypted.

you can add mods so meta would work like i have.

license is with the dedicated IP and yes you can run a local

theres tons of guides and posts in the customers section including top10.
indieCore radio - 24/7 music and HD music videos... (hiatus)
contentZERO. - my design/production company...
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

1. Yes. You can also set custom configuration variables for any forum, so you can make it so all forums use one set of smilies, but a certain forum uses other set.

2. Its not encrypted.

3. You can run copies on your localhost for testing.

4. There are few