Comparison

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Sshadow

Comparison

Post by Sshadow »

I am currently trying out echoPHP however looking at their forums and such they are rather inactive and they are currently selling their software. I am leaning towards this software however I just wanted to see if you knew how it compares to echoPHP?
PHPBBHS
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: Comparison

Post by PHPBBHS »

Don't know a lot about that script.
But one major flaw they have is most of their script is encoded
Almost of the script is encoded by IonCube, you can't modify source code (but you can modify phpBB source code).
With phpBBHS you have full access to the entire script and can make any changes that are required. This is a most have for a forum host since it gives you the power to expand and make changes when needed without having to rely on a third party.
PHPBBHS

Post by PHPBBHS »

Edit (I see you mentioned this in your post) Also found out about the echophp looks like they are looking for a new owner so who knows what will happen next. Will look into if the price is right.
Otherwise they still have not updated their script to 3.0.9 yet for phpbb
Sshadow

Post by Sshadow »

Ok thank you. I have decided to switch. Buying Christmas for 4 kids has me pretty tight at the moment lol so it will probably be about 2 weeks.
PHPBBHS

Post by PHPBBHS »

K, So far my communication with echophp hasn't been well. Not getting the information I need to justify buying and then spending the time working on it even more so when I say that script was bought a couple years ago for 2200 and now listed at 5k.
PHPBBHS

Post by PHPBBHS »

We own both scripts.

phpBBHS is a newer codebase compared to echophp
mdvaldosta

Re: Comparison of Forum Hosting Scripts

Post by mdvaldosta »

PhpBBHS is still a good script, it's only drawback is it still runs on 3.0.12 I think. If you're looking for a phpBB-based forum hosting backend, it's the best you'll get without rolling your own. We've modified it pretty heavily and use it a ProphpBB, and it works well for our needs. So, while it's not updated much anymore, it's still a solid place to start if you want to get your feet wet, and it's not very expensive. Just don't expect it to carry you through future versions unless you modify it yourself.
RoyJackson

Post by RoyJackson »

PHPBBHS wrote: 01 Jan 2012, 23:26 Don't know a lot about that script.
But one major ingredients how to get rid of gyno of these supplements are posted in this article flaw they have is most of their script is encoded
Almost of the script is encoded by IonCube, you can't modify source code (but you can modify phpBB source code).
With phpBBHS you have full access to the entire script and can make any changes that are required. This is a most have for a forum host since it gives you the power to expand and make changes when needed without having to rely on a third party.
In my opinion, you are right that most of their script is encoded. It is a genuine problem for me.