About multidomains

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Alb

Re: About multidomains

Post by Alb »

CyberAlien wrote:You'll need 2 IPs for that, so you could do 2 completely different unrelated installations.
Hmm .. goal is to have one site with one registration form and one member account where people can create forum on SiteA or SiteB. They create their forums via the main site and not directly from SiteA or SiteB.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Post by CyberAlien »

That's tricky, but it can be done with 3 accounts: 1 for SiteA, 1 for SiteB, 1 for your website. Create custom domains register.sitea.com and register.siteb.com on those websites, then on main website when user selects domain redirect him to one of two registration pages. It would be similar to what one customer has done on http://fireforumz.com/
Alb

Post by Alb »

In fact, I was thinking of something that involve mysql.
You register on a site, and this site know how to create forums on siteA and siteB via sql so you don't need to create by yourself an account on siteA and siteB .. And siteA / siteB can't be accessed by visitors.
Cool things is that you can have a list of all your forums on the mainsite, and differents people can create myforum.siteA.com and myforum.siteB.com
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

That can be done too, but you'll need to write your own registration script, or copy parts of default one. You'll need to add entry to forums table, install that forum's database, create directories for that forum and write few cache files.
emoruffino

Post by emoruffino »

CyberAlien wrote:That's tricky, but it can be done with 3 accounts: 1 for SiteA, 1 for SiteB, 1 for your website. Create custom domains register.sitea.com and register.siteb.com on those websites, then on main website when user selects domain redirect him to one of two registration pages. It would be similar to what one customer has done on http://fireforumz.com/
:) mentioned!!!

but yea i find it easier to do it that way and it makes better seo with the register.fireforumz.com and signup.fireforumz.com domains...
indieCore radio - 24/7 music and HD music videos... (hiatus)
contentZERO. - my design/production company...
Ashenvale

Post by Ashenvale »

That gives me ideas...
Nice update on design, emo =)