Convert from sebflipper phpBB2?

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Tom

Re: Convert from sebflipper phpBB2?

Post by Tom »

CyberAlien wrote:Website template can be easily edited, so if you are familiar with xhtml/css you can make it look like old website.
What? I was asking about the URL that would be used to access the sebflipper forums versus the URL that would be used to access the phpbbhs forums.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Post by CyberAlien »

Nevermind, I shouldn't try to answer questions when I have a headache.

If you install script in subdirectory, forums will be ran from that subdirectory, like forum.domain.com/subdirectory/
Tom

Post by Tom »

CyberAlien wrote:Nevermind, I shouldn't try to answer questions when I have a headache.
haha no problem, it's refreshing to at least have some kind of support unlike over at sebflipper.
CyberAlien wrote:If you install script in subdirectory, forums will be ran from that subdirectory, like forum.domain.com/subdirectory/
Alright, but what I really, really, really would like is to keep the root directory. I want the new forums to be accessed via forum.domain.com NOT forum.domain.com/folder

Since sebflipper is currently using the root directory, would I be able to move the sebflipper script into /subdirectory. Then load up the mysql database and change every forum config into /subdirectory. Then make cpanel subdomain redirects that point to the folder?

Essentially what I am after is having minimal downtime. I'll modify anything manually if I need to. I want the new forums to be in the root directory, and I do not want to lose my current customers. If I move the sebflippert script, and a customer goes to "forum.domain.com" and finds their old forum URL bringing up a 404 page they would not be happy.
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Post by CyberAlien »

That can be done with few modifications to files, and currently on one of my test forums I do have that code.