Can i use a phpbb with hacks/addons?

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Sukkurashu

Can i use a phpbb with hacks/addons?

Post by Sukkurashu »

Hi,

can i use the hosting script with a phpbb which has been integratet some hacks / addons?
or can i only use the "standard" edition?
LordRagnarocK
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: Can i use a phpbb with hacks/addons?

Post by LordRagnarocK »

you can add addons, hacks , any styles, language you wants but you need at least a little knowledge in php...
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

It can be used with premodded version, but you'll need to know phpBB very well to adjust hosting script to work with it.
Kane

Post by Kane »

I would guess mods that require no mysql ads or changes are simple since its one default style/code.. But things that require things to be added into sql would require a lot more brain..

Am I right? Just trying get a understanding.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

No, its the opposite. Adding sql is the easy part because you can run sql queries on all forums from phpbbhs control panel and then add those queries to forum installation sql file, but because premodded version might use completely rewritten parts of phpbb code it might cause problems finding/replacing code to make it work with phpbbhs.
Kane

Post by Kane »

CyberAlien wrote:No, its the opposite. Adding sql is the easy part because you can run sql queries on all forums from phpbbhs control panel and then add those queries to forum installation sql file, but because premodded version might use completely rewritten parts of phpbb code it might cause problems finding/replacing code to make it work with phpbbhs.
Ahh I see what you mean and getting at.. So if I know or learn a bit php and understanding what I'm pasting into a file I have a better chance of putting in the correct place if it was rewritten ;)
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Yep, something like that. Also learning how phpBB works and what all files/functions do will help.