Installing on existing site

Pre-sales questions for phpBB 3 forum hosting script.
Jeren
Hosted Forums: 0

Installing on existing site

Post by Jeren »

Greetings,

If I purchase this product, I'd most likely be installing it in a subdomain of my hosting site. Assuming I install it at sub1.mydomain.net, users would be able to register for userforum.sub1.mydomain.net (as an example)?

Would it also be possible for people to register forums from my main domain (I assume a set of files would need to be included on my root to allow for this)?

Thank you.
CyberAlien
Coder

Re: Installing on existing site

Post by CyberAlien »

Jeren wrote:If I purchase this product, I'd most likely be installing it in a subdomain of my hosting site. Assuming I install it at sub1.mydomain.net, users would be able to register for userforum.sub1.mydomain.net (as an example)?
Yes, it will work.
Jeren wrote:Would it also be possible for people to register forums from my main domain (I assume a set of files would need to be included on my root to allow for this)?
Yes, if you point wildcard subdomains of your website to hosting script's IP. So you can have yourwebsite.com and http://www.yourwebsite.com pointing to one IP and using you own website, *.yourwebsite.com pointing to other IP where hosting script is and use something like register.yourwebsite.com for registration form. It requires some fiddling with dns and messing with custom domains feature (only settings, no need to change anything in php code).
Jeren

Post by Jeren »

My main site is where phpBBHS will be hosted, so while they are the same IP, would that still be possible?
Kane

Post by Kane »

Jeren wrote:My main site is where phpBBHS will be hosted, so while they are the same IP, would that still be possible?
Yeah that should fine as long as its a dedicated IP not shared hosting should work fine.. It also supports multiple domains.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

Jeren wrote:My main site is where phpBBHS will be hosted, so while they are the same IP, would that still be possible?
I thought you were talking about using your own script for website. With everything being handled by phpBBHS its easy: just point domain and wildcard subdomain to its IP and it will work.