Comparisson with other MF script

General discussion. Spammers will be banned.
utomo
Banned

Comparisson with other MF script

Post by utomo »

Can you please make a comparisson chart, which show the different between phpbbhs with other MF script.

so we can decided which one we use

Thanks

(by doing this, you also can know if something still missing in your script, if any. and then try to add it if it is good)
CyberAlien
Coder
Hosted Forums: 0

Re: Comparisson with other MF script

Post by CyberAlien »

No, I won't be making any charts. I'm not competing with other scripts in number of shiny features that noone would ever use. My script is designed to work well, not for useless features showoff.

If you are missing some feature, script is very flexible (code isn't encoded, easy to use modular system) so you can easily add your own feature whenever you want or hire someone to do it.
emoruffino

Post by emoruffino »

CyberAlien wrote:No, I won't be making any charts. I'm not competing with other scripts in number of shiny features that noone would ever use. My script is designed to work well, not for useless features showoff.

If you are missing some feature, script is very flexible (code isn't encoded, easy to use modular system) so you can easily add your own feature whenever you want or hire someone to do it.
and this is why i choose phpbbhs..... :lol:
indieCore radio - 24/7 music and HD music videos... (hiatus)
contentZERO. - my design/production company...
utomo
Banned

Post by utomo »

Thanks for the explanations.

but IMHO, main functions which mostly used by user must be provided by phpbbhs.

and very specific fetaures, which only rare people need, better to developed individually.

at least phpbbhs need to look at others, where maybe phpbbhs can find missing important fetures. or get ideas.
by this, i believe it will improve phpbbhs a lot.

Good luck
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

You are looking at it completely wrong way. What you are doing is just looking at lists of shiny features, most of it has absolutely nothing to do with performance and usability.

Example: "AJAX!!1111 MUST HAVE AJAX!!!1111". What for? Its a useless overbloat that does absolutely nothing, and its as SEO unfriendly as it can get.

Another example: "DIRECTORY!!111 MUST SEARCH IT!!!111". What for? Directory is at best "inaccurate" because forum admins don't care about their listing in some directory noone ever uses, all they want is to run their own forum, so they won't spend time adjusting their own directory listing. You won't adjust their directory listing too, because if your hosting service runs well with 100+ signups per day you just won't have time to do it. Search engines don't need directory search feature ether - all needed for SEO is a list of all forums in seo friendly way, and that's what basic directory module in phpbbhs provides.

Then you are comparing it with wrong scripts. Those scripts are encoded, which means you can't add your own features to it (and you will need that if you want your hosting to be different from other 100+ hosting services), if there is a error in code you won't be able to fix it yourself and would have to wait for official update.

Then you are missing main point: phpBBHS is a modular system. You can add/remove features as you want whenever you want. Coders can easily write their own modules to add a feature you want, so if few people want some feature any coder can do it and then share or sell it, or you can hire someone to write a module for feature you want.
utomo
Banned

Post by utomo »

I agree with you on some topics.
Ajax is not must.
and also code without encoded is better for our future, as we can add more features, and also fix some bugs.

But for the directory, It can help other people to find forums as they want to join. this can help to add more forums members.
so, beside the word of mouth and also the search engine help, the directory is able to help people to join the right forums.
and it also can help too many people create same forums topics, and then not so much people join the forums.

please review my explanations. and I hope we can have the best script (phpbbhs which almost fulfill most user need/ not only me) :D

CyberAlien wrote:You are looking at it completely wrong way. What you are doing is just looking at lists of shiny features, most of it has absolutely nothing to do with performance and usability.

Example: "AJAX!!1111 MUST HAVE AJAX!!!1111". What for? Its a useless overbloat that does absolutely nothing, and its as SEO unfriendly as it can get.

Another example: "DIRECTORY!!111 MUST SEARCH IT!!!111". What for? Directory is at best "inaccurate" because forum admins don't care about their listing in some directory noone ever uses, all they want is to run their own forum, so they won't spend time adjusting their own directory listing. You won't adjust their directory listing too, because if your hosting service runs well with 100+ signups per day you just won't have time to do it. Search engines don't need directory search feature ether - all needed for SEO is a list of all forums in seo friendly way, and that's what basic directory module in phpbbhs provides.

Then you are comparing it with wrong scripts. Those scripts are encoded, which means you can't add your own features to it (and you will need that if you want your hosting to be different from other 100+ hosting services), if there is a error in code you won't be able to fix it yourself and would have to wait for official update.

Then you are missing main point: phpBBHS is a modular system. You can add/remove features as you want whenever you want. Coders can easily write their own modules to add a feature you want, so if few people want some feature any coder can do it and then share or sell it, or you can hire someone to write a module for feature you want.
CyberAlien
Coder

Post by CyberAlien »

You can easily integrate google search with it. Directory script uses templates so you can easily add your own code, google offers custom search.